1968 variety?

Richards

1968 variety?

Post by Richards » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:45 am

Hello All!

I was wondering if I could pick everyone's brain about this coin. I will post a better picture when I receive the item - I waited until I had won the listing on ebay and have posted a screen grab from saidting - but the coin in question is front and center. The curiosity is the 8 in the date, most notably the right side. I had seen one of these for sale once before, and the seller had called it a 1968 over a large date 1969 strike, but that seemed just wrong to me since logically speaking a 1969 coin shouldn't have existed prior to the striking of all the 1968 dimes. Given the shape of the 8 though, I can at least understand what they thought. The right side of the 8 is very flat in that it is missing the two rounded shapes that would be the top and bottom of an 8. Basically like a backwards capital B. Has anyone seen one of these before? I did a very quick search on here and found nothing relative. Also couldn't find the old listing I had seen. Is it possible that some/a '69 large date die was converted to a '68 die when the change in date size was decided? And instead of trashing a then obsolete die, converted it mint a few more hundred/thousand coins before the year was out? Open to all thoughts and ideas! And I'll post my own photos once the lot arrives.

Thanks!

Richards
Attachments
Screenshot_20170225-094539.jpg
Screenshot_20170225-094539.jpg (661.81 KiB) Viewed 12876 times

Richards

Re: 1968 variety?

Post by Richards » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:52 am

Richards wrote:... and have posted a screen grab from saidting

said listing* Pardon the fat fingers!

coinguy

Post by coinguy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:56 am

That is quite a fairy tail that seller has.
Just how would a 69 be converted to a 68?
Also there would be no reason to even if it was possible, as there
were over 170,000,000 minted between the RCM and Philadelphia
Mint so an extra couple of thousand would make no difference.
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it is either some
sort of accumulation or PMD, not an error.
I assume those are Silver dimes as there is no extra value in
the circulated Nickel ones.

Richards

Post by Richards » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 am

coinguy wrote:That is quite a fairy tail that seller has.
Just how would a 69 be converted to a 68?
Also there would be no reason to even if it was possible, as there
were over 170,000,000 minted between the RCM and Philadelphia
Mint so an extra couple of thousand would make no difference.
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it is either some
sort of accumulation or PMD, not an error.
I assume those are Silver dimes as there is no extra value in
the circulated Nickel ones.

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking too (extreme story.) I know its hard to see from the screen shot, but I'll post a better pic upon arrival. So long as the resolution isn't playing tricks on my eyes, there IS some kind of shape difference if it's the same type of date I'd seen previously on the other person's coin. I tried to find the other listing again because it had a much better quality photo, but I remember it went unsold (they were asking thousands lol) and I couldn't find it again. It didn't look like PMD, just literally a differently shaped 8. I guess until it arrives I play the waiting game!

Thanks for the reply coinguy!

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:57 pm

To me it looks like it's the lighting and toning that's playing with the eye...

I had enlarged the picture pretty big and you can see that the 8 still does have some shape on the right hand side.. but exactly what's going on here I'm not sure... you're going to have to wait til it's in hand and then have a really good look.

As for the 8/9 story... well I'm going to say I'm extremely skeptical that this is the first we've heard of it nearly 40 years after the fact....

Richards

Post by Richards » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am

Shylo wrote:To me it looks like it's the lighting and toning that's playing with the eye...

Well Shylo you are correct! The coins arrived, and they all bear a standard 8. It was just a matter of light and angle and such.

I fully agree that it its a peculiar concept, but I know at least the one instance exists. Not necessarily calling it an 8 over 9 as that by all accounts just doesn't make much sense. I do wish I had saved a copy of the one for sale online that even got me looking for this to begin with. But I guess until one shows up, I'll quietly wear my tinfoil hat on the matter lol