Auction advice.

General discussions about canadian coins.
charleyboy

Auction advice.

Post by charleyboy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:25 pm

In a short period of time I have amassed a substantial quantity of low to very high value Canadian and foreign coins ( 150- 200 k). I would like to know where to find info on which auctions specialize in certain coins and at what time of the year yields are the highest. I am also unconvinced that all coins should be certified by one company and should be sent to companies that specialize in that category of coin. Any advice?

Bill in Burl

Re: Auction advice.

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:56 am

Value is determined by the BUYER, not a book or TRends sheet. For anyone to recommend an auctioneer, you would have to give us an idea of what you have and in what grade. Some TPG's are tougher on certain denominations/monarchs than other TPG's and some TPG's specialize in certain denominations, especially for varieties. Also, you may be pouring money down the drain by spending the money to certify certain coins, since the cost to certify may eat up any potential profit or make the loss even greater. Don't believe price guides or lists. To find out what you may get for the coin, look at the Ebay "sold" listings (items that actually sold and not ended with no bids) or past auction results, then subtract the TPG costs and the auctioneer's cut on top of that.
Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:05 am

Mmmmm ... I can't see how to edit my post from above so I'll just add to it. I see that you have the figures "150-200k" in your post. Does that mean that the coins you have are EACH in the $150,000 to 200,000 range. Or is that the number of coins you have or is that your estimated value for the whole bunch. Depending on what coins you have, you may have to decide in what country or city that you wish to have an auction. Many high-grade collectors want to a coin "in-hand" before buying anything, so NYC, Chicago, Miami, London, Berlin, etc may be called for.
Bill in Burl

charleyboy

Post by charleyboy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 am

My coins range in price from $1 to $7k or so with many in the $500+ range.