What really matters?

General discussions about canadian coins.
JNOD

What really matters?

Post by JNOD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 am

I've returned to collecting over the last two years - I'm focused on Newfoundland 1865 - 1890 and the Province of Canada 1841 - 1867. I am having a terrific time!

The question is: what are the best coins to buy? Key dates? High grade? Complete sets? Varieties?

Answer #1 (the amateur): "I buy things that I like - generally attractive, high grade".

Answer #2 (professional dealers): "focus on re-sale - problem-free key dates".

Answer #3 (the neurotics): "buy things that are graded".

Answer #4 (the opportunists): "get good at grading and buy things that are un-graded".

Answer #5 (the purists): "don't go anywhere near eBay".

Answer #6 (the party-goers): "don't listen to the purists".

Any thoughts about this coinland?

momomomo

Re: What really matters?

Post by momomomo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:39 am

:lol: :lol: Love it!
I'm probably a mix between amateur and party-goers + a bit of all of the others. :Étudiant:
JNOD wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 am
Province of Canada 1841 - 1867.
You mean colonial tokens?

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 am

I think the first thing you have to deside is if you want to make money at collecting or just collect. If you want to have a collection that is worth more in 10 years then it is now I think you better be looking at high grade coins , certified or not. If your like me , I just buy what I can afford and what I like. I will probably lose money if there comes a time I would sell it off, but I will enjoy the collection I’m putting together even if it’s below a lot of people’s standards. The most important thing is to enjoy. I know this probably isn’t the rely you are looking for!! But I like to get my 2 cents in!

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 pm

momomomo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:39 am
:lol: :lol: Love it!
I'm probably a mix between amateur and party-goers + a bit of all of the others. :Étudiant:
JNOD wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 am
Province of Canada 1841 - 1867.
You mean colonial tokens?

Yes - some of those but also the 1858/9 coins - I'm kind of obsessed with them. They're nice to look at and the numerous errors sort of crack me up; 1859 especially. Kind of a drunk production run....

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:04 pm

GBELEC wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 am
I think the first thing you have to deside is if you want to make money at collecting or just collect. If you want to have a collection that is worth more in 10 years then it is now I think you better be looking at high grade coins , certified or not. If your like me , I just buy what I can afford and what I like. I will probably lose money if there comes a time I would sell it off, but I will enjoy the collection I’m putting together even if it’s below a lot of people’s standards. The most important thing is to enjoy. I know this probably isn’t the rely you are looking for!! But I like to get my 2 cents in!

Yes, this seems true to me. I've been seeking advice from various dealers and people who show up to the various shows. There are a lot of opinions out there - though there is a strong tendency to favour stuff that has good re-sale potential.