2014 RCNA

General discussions about canadian coins.
Bill in Burl

2014 RCNA

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:53 am

I am surprised that this topic has not came up as a thread, nor has it been mentioned casually offhand. The organization that helps keep our hobby alive holds the annual convention with seminars, discussion get-togethers, presentations in the largest population center in Canada ... along with a good sized bourse and 4-session auction ... and no one says anything? Hmmmmm ... how active is this site anyway?
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Re: 2014 RCNA

Post by Shylo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:22 pm

Bill:

It is with regret that I have to say that these discussion boards are really not that lively... and I have no clue why.

I find it ironic that this site is most often referenced with current coin trends on other coin discussion boards but see such little traffic on these boards.

All I can say about the RCNA is that it was held in Toronto and I live in Winnipeg. I am certainly not a dealer and live and collect on some quite modest means, so traveling to T.O. just isn't in the books for me.. Although I would've loved to have seen some the seminars... I was quite dissapointed last year when the RCNA was here in Winnipeg... I heard nothing of any seminars, the dealers were very dissapointed at the turn out and I saw little that would draw a new collector into this hobby.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:21 am

Every annual convention has nearly a whole week of presentations, seminars and open discussion meetings of specialty groups (errors, varieties, Newf, paper money, etc) that are educational .. even if they aren't in your own wheelhouse. I actually heard a great many compliments about the Winnipeg RCNA last year ... maybe because of the Mint tour.

Actually, traffic on all the coin sites is down appreciabley, including the Canadiancoppercoin site where I'm the moderator. I, too, found it strange that this site, which is referenced more than any other for reference material, pricing and photos did not have a single post about the RCNA, nor any posts of anything for quite a while. Maybe the French main site is up and going, but the English side is very inactive.
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:38 pm

The Winnipeg RCNA was my first major show that I had ever been to. I heard about the Mint tours.. and decided against it... I realized that the tour groups got a chance to see areas of the mint that are not normally toured... What I never heard about was any of the seminars or discussion groups where I could go and learn a bit more about coins. (That's what I was disapointed about)

I did enjoy the bourse.. I had a chance to talk with many dealers and learn a bit more about the world of coins and shows.

What I regret is that there won't be another big show again like that here for some time and I feel like I missed out on an opportunity.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:27 am

Well, the convention alkternates between East, West and the T.O. area .. next year in Halifax so maybe something midcontinent is due up some time in the future. They are well worth the time to plan a short vacation around.
Bill in Burl

coinme

Post by coinme » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:15 pm

That is something I would be interested in going to, however, I live in Alberta and that is a long way to go. Do they ever come out this way?