Package Error - Charles III First Strike Uncirculated Set

General discussions on the canadian coins errors and varieties.
smwh5

Package Error - Charles III First Strike Uncirculated Set

Post by smwh5 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:18 pm

I ordered and received five of the Charles III First Strike Uncirculated Sets. They were picked up from the Mint in Ottawa by Purolator, leaving Ottawa on Saturday, 23 March 204, and delivered to me on Monday, 25 March 2024 at 11:21.

Upon examining the sets I noticed one set contained a dime with an effigy of Queen Elizabeth II which should not be in the set. Upon closer examination I noticed the dime was dated 2009! How could this be? A packaging error with a coin from 15 years ago does raise questions for me. I wouldn’t think a 2009 coin would still be in the production or packaging area of the mint.

The mailing envelope was well sealed and had not been tampered with. The one affected set appears just like the other sets in the heat sealed wrap and there appears to be no tampering. It is just baffling me as to how this could have happened.

I contacted RCM by phone and they suggested the set was tampered with. They also said they could not do anything further without seeing the set, so I took the set to the Winnipeg Mint for their inspection. The person who inspected it, also, thought it looked intact and appeared to show no signs of tampering with. They took photos of the set to send to Ottawa.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Attachments
Obverse-R.jpg
Obverse-R.jpg (276.68 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Reverse-R.jpg
Reverse-R.jpg (241.8 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Alea iacta est. — The die has been cast.

Mint State

Re: Package Error - Charles III First Strike Uncirculated Set

Post by Mint State » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:56 am

Has there been any developments on this? I am shocked there have been no replies here. I'm curious as to how this could have occurred if not tampering. If it is in fact a mint packaging error, and this coin ended up in here than it blows open all kinds of speculation on what exactly can - and can't - occur at the mint.

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:34 am

Is it possible that the dime was placed in the system by some one at the mint before packaging, could make for a good marketing strategy. I’m just a old guy running scenario through my head. :P

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:54 am

By going to the mint, you've done all you can do. Until they get back, then there's not much anyone here can do/suggest, except QC, which the Mint lacks.
Bill in Burl

Mint State

Post by Mint State » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:14 am

If it were to be assumed it happened at the Mint, then the question is.. do they simply have uncirculated coins laying around from over a decade old that can end up in Mint rolls, or packages? Crazy.

troubadour

Post by troubadour » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:02 pm

definetly worth premium
keep it like this

smwh5

Post by smwh5 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:25 am

There are no further updates. I am waiting to hear back from the Mint and if I do I will post their response.
Alea iacta est. — The die has been cast.