What to do with ww 2 medals

General discussions about canadian tokens and medals.
Lar

What to do with ww 2 medals

Post by Lar » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:04 pm

I have a set of military ww2 medals that belonged to a relative. There are no interested people in my family. Surely someday I will no longer be able to look after them.
Any Ideas what options I have to insure they don't end up in a junk store. They are quite significant and have a definite history.

MakesCents

Re: What to do with ww 2 medals

Post by MakesCents » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 pm

There are a lot of collectors out there that will treat them respectfully and make sure they don't end up in a thrift store. I have quite a few medals that I have purchased over the years. I also acquired a cloisonne vase with the tags and ashes of a WWII pilot. I bought a British death penny off of a woman who bought up an estate, she offered to sell me the vase and ashes, I told her I would take it off her hands and find somewhere proper to take it. I guess the family wanted nothing to do with this guy as he was an abusive alcoholic, I am assuming like a lot of other people that went off to war that he suffered from PTSD, kind of sad really. I can't imagine anyone being ok after what some of them saw. I have run into a few people who came from families like that so maybe in their eyes the medals mean nothing to them.

Lar

Post by Lar » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Thank you for your reply. These medals are from my uncle who died in a Lancaster bomber in Europe. I guess I will have to do some homework and find someone who would appreciate them.
Thanks.

MakesCents

Post by MakesCents » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:26 pm

I tried sending you a message through the contact button but I don't know if it worked. Let me know if you get it.

altakid

Post by altakid » Mon May 03, 2021 8:22 am

If you haven't done anything with the medals yet you could contact the Royal Canadian Legion they may be able to help you out.