Does anyone know about these medals?

General discussions about canadian tokens and medals.
Post Reply
rescuerob
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:16 pm

Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by rescuerob » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:26 pm

Hi all.

Looking for some info on these ….. I recently won an auction and these were part of the lot.
Attachments
64DF5199-D210-49A3-AB57-D4076CABF17B.jpeg
64DF5199-D210-49A3-AB57-D4076CABF17B.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 733 times
F301D026-50C4-4E91-AF45-601659AA1909.jpeg
F301D026-50C4-4E91-AF45-601659AA1909.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 733 times
206FD120-3D2A-48CA-BDC6-29D589FD34FF.jpeg
206FD120-3D2A-48CA-BDC6-29D589FD34FF.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 733 times
3428C94F-2D5E-40C8-995D-6E7CE61A580D.jpeg
3428C94F-2D5E-40C8-995D-6E7CE61A580D.jpeg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 733 times
9725937C-2FAF-445B-8E70-78C71A99F842.jpeg
9725937C-2FAF-445B-8E70-78C71A99F842.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 733 times

dbcoins
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by dbcoins » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 am

For the George V medal on top, go to this link below..
There were 7,500 medals to Canadians, of which 1,154 were to the Canadian Forces. A total of 85,235 were issued.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... details/73

dbcoins
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by dbcoins » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 am

For The Victoria 60th Year, not sure.... Many different types were made back in the day. Can't find this one.
That hole was definitely punched afterwards & is technically damage. The whole poor quality of the die / strike lends to the possibility of some locally short run strike ?

rescuerob
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:16 pm

Re: Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by rescuerob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm

dbcoins wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 am
For the George V medal on top, go to this link below..
There were 7,500 medals to Canadians, of which 1,154 were to the Canadian Forces. A total of 85,235 were issued.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... details/73
That’s fascinating. Thank you for the info @dbcoins . Any idea what the value would be? I might be inclined to sell it if it makes sense…

rescuerob
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:16 pm

Re: Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by rescuerob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:29 pm

dbcoins wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 am
For The Victoria 60th Year, not sure.... Many different types were made back in the day. Can't find this one.
That hole was definitely punched afterwards & is technically damage. The whole poor quality of the die / strike lends to the possibility of some locally short run strike ?
Yes the hole punch is unfortunate. It would be interesting to know the reason for minting these.

rescuerob
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:16 pm

Re: Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by rescuerob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:33 pm

rescuerob wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm
dbcoins wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 am
For the George V medal on top, go to this link below..
There were 7,500 medals to Canadians, of which 1,154 were to the Canadian Forces. A total of 85,235 were issued.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... details/73
That’s fascinating. Thank you for the info @dbcoins . Any idea what the value would be? I might be inclined to sell it if it makes sense…
I was also wondering about the metal used and although there is no mint mark indicating it to be silver, I did not want to clean off the patina…. Was hoping it was silver but wasn’t sure.

TBH
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:09 am
Location: sunshine coast BC

Re: Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by TBH » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:22 pm

These are not medals that were presented to anyone.
They are souvenir medallions which anyone could purchase.
Just as many companies today are selling souvenirs to mark Elizabeth's 70th anniversary.
The top one is likely silver though they were also issued in bronze, the bottom one bronze.
If you search eBay I guarantee you'll find examples of each, they are by no means rare.

dbcoins
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Does anyone know about these medals?

Post by dbcoins » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:40 pm

Don't know about the "Victoria" piece, but the King George V piece is a medal that was in fact presented to dignitaries & members of the Military in 1935. ....You can read all about it in the Canada Government link that is attached to this email. And yes it is Sterling Silver ( 92.5%)

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... details/73

Post Reply