U.S. error penny

General discussions about foreign numismatic.
MakesCents

U.S. error penny

Post by MakesCents » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:49 pm

First off, I am new posting on this site but I have been reading through all the different sections as well as the rest of the site. I have been collecting for a lot of years, since I was a kid. I collect all sorts of things but what I like most are coins and banknotes. I mostly collect Canadian and American but then I also started collecting Newfoundland coins, errors, foreign coins and banknotes. I have quite an extensive collection of error coins and varieties but what brings me here is an American penny that I have. It is a 1982d, zinc, large date penny. I have scoured the internet looking for another like it but no luck. Looking with a magnifying glass I can spot a few different errors but the ones that I find most interesting is the top of the T in cent, the vertical line runs up past the horizontal line leaving a nub, also there are extra dots and spots inside of Monticello and at the top of the penny the "States of" seems like a weak strike but then I have a lot of other 1982's with that same problem. I am wondering if there is a place to get this coin certified that doesn't cost a fortune? Are there any places that specialize errors? Any advice would be appreciated. If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize.
us penny error.jpg
us penny error.jpg (655.18 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
us penny error1.jpg
us penny error1.jpg (593.54 KiB) Viewed 8916 times

troubadour

Re: U.S. error penny

Post by troubadour » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:26 pm

coinguy

Post by coinguy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:21 pm

When posting photos, please show one of each side instead of two of the same side, this can
be important when evaluating a coin.

As far as your coin goes, the dots are plating bubbles. Eventually they will get bigger and break causing the zinc core to corrode. Copper plated zinc coins are notorious for this.
You are right on the STATES, this is a weak strike caused by the amount of material used by the top of Abe’s head on the Obverse that sometimes there isn’t enough to fill the die on the Reverse. This is common on Lincoln’s.
It certainly isn’t worth getting graded as the cost would far exceed the value of the coin.

Bond632

Post by Bond632 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:09 pm

I agree with coinguy. I can see at least 6 bubbles on your coin, one of them just happens to be above the T.

A rule of thumb for sending anything to a TPG, value of item should be at least $100-$150 to make it worthwhile.

MakesCents

Post by MakesCents » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:51 pm

Thank you for your replies. I guess bubbles make sense when I Think about it. A lot of my error coins are more obvious. I do find them interesting though.

newfyvet

Post by newfyvet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:12 am

MakesCents wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:51 pm
Thank you for your replies. I guess bubbles make sense when I Think about it. A lot of my error coins are more obvious. I do find them interesting though.
Yes...this is called "BLISTERING" of a coin and usually appears in Zinc Coins and also you see weak striking with "Lincoln" and "States" and generally a weak reverse. I think that is really caused by bad reverse die strike adjustment. I would be more interested to see if it was a Transition coin (Small Date Zinc)?

coinguy

Post by coinguy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 am

The OP stated in his write up that it is a 1982 zinc large date.
The weak “STATES” is caused by the amount of metal used to on the Obverse to strike Abe’s head
that it doesn’t always leave enough metal to fill in the cavity of the lettering thus causing weakness.