USSR rare coin with mint error worth regrading?

General discussions about foreign numismatic.
PortPunk

USSR rare coin with mint error worth regrading?

Post by PortPunk » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:29 am

Does the mint error add value or detract from this rare USSR coin? 1942 15 Kon Fedorin
I have had the coin graded by PCGS and it was graded as a MS 63. This is the second highest in the population charts.
Also rare enough I can find no pricing for this level of the coin.The coin certification number is #42030406 and it is on TruView so you can get a close look at it. I did not have it graded as an error coin but if you look at the Obverse side it is clearly doubled die. Two questions?

1. What do you think it is worth?
2.Should I have it regraded to get the mint error details onto the holder before selling it?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

coinguy

Re: USSR rare coin with mint error worth regrading?

Post by coinguy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 am

This as the title says is a Canadian Coin Forum
Not sure if anyone here can help. I know I can't.
Also a Doubled Die is not an error, it is a variety.

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks for the reply.
I am Canadian.
The sub section in the forum is entitled foreign countries if that is not for discussion on other countries, I am confused.
Good tip on variety description'.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:19 pm

Yes, you are in the right place for the foreign coins subforum. Sorry I can't help with your Russian coin, but can you post a photo? What is the "error" with the coin as well?
Bill in Burl

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:08 am

Of course the resolution is too high for using any of the PCGS files so I did a screen capture and was able to upload it. It is the obverse that is Double Die. I think if it was a variety PCGS would have labelled it so like they do my other coins. It is the second highest in the POP charts and any one interested in it will look at the high resolution and can easily see it is doubled on that side. but for marketing purposes do you think i need to get it regraded?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.55.54 AM.png
1942 USSR 15Kon Obv. DDO
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.55.54 AM.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 5604 times

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:00 pm

I don't see any "double die" from the small photo above. I DO see what looks to be machine/mechanical doubling, with the "shadow image" on the middle left side and the left 2 large "C's"
Bill in Burl

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 am

Thanks Bill, you answered most of my questions. Because it is a machine error then PCGS would not put anything in the details. So it it is graded as well as should be and the machine error should not affect the price. It just makes it more unique. Maybe a bomb went off and shook the machine while they were making them.

DO you have experience with marketing graded Russian coins and if so where and how would you do it?

I have a series of graded war time USSR coinage but none are considered as rare. they are all graded MS 63. SO my question now is the best way to sell them.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:35 pm

I'm not familiar with Russia coins. If you have a coin club in the area, maybe try it there. If not, a larger coin show to take around to dealers. MD is caused by the die being a little loose in the chuck/holder and it slightly moves when the die comes off the coin on the uptake.
Bill in Burl