2012 Rose Gold Plated Dime in Proof set ?

john1000

Re: 2012 Rose Gold Plated Dime in Proof set ?

Post by john1000 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:40 pm

Almost sure if you XRF the dime it would be 99.99 silver, The RCM has a report on Canadian Coin News that this gold hue was due to a reaction between the varnish and the coin.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:46 pm

Yes, they (some of them) were lacquered and gave a goldish hue as it ages. Haven't heard anything about silver, just specimens and proofs. Nothing special though.
Bill in Burl

TBH

Post by TBH » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:02 pm

As john1000 said earlier the mint treated the coins with a proprietary protective coating.
Didn't always work so well.

coinguy

Post by coinguy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:38 am

Does it really matter how this occurred?
The fact that it did not happen when the coin was struck classes it as damage.
Maybe that dime was exposed to something before it was shipped of out to be packaged.
Don’t forget these are packaged by hand off site. I have seen damaged coins that are packaged
where it looks like the coin was dropped or something dropped on it. You may never know the
exact cause of what discoloured it.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:25 pm

PortPunk wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:02 pm
SO if we go down the copper theory the content is not 5% copper in this coin. I am attaching the card and you will see it is supposed to be 99.99% silver. That is not much copper to turn this colour.
My apologies, I did say that 5% value, but, regardless, the rest of my post on air getting in is still what I would use to explain this. I am attaching pictures of my 99.99% Silver squirrel coin, which does have a few small bits of wood attached to it. The coin was released in 2017 and was silver, but I have a few of these now and the squirrel side is toned on all of them and the edge is also toned but only a little bit. The obverse is completely silver and would not raise any eyebrows. In my case the toning is a result of a combination of the wood, the plastic, and the air, but even silver without copper is reactive to things in the air or even the plastic it is stored in. Why just the dime? Good question, and I will still say it is the amount of air around it in the plastic - my toned silver coins have all been stored so that the squirrel is up, but there is also little tabs to hold it in place even if it were upside down to protect the wood. Thus, more air can be in that space. And reactions to the silver or coating would be possible.

link to RCM page where this silver squirrel is shown: https://www.mint.ca/en/shop/coins/2017/ ... -7500-2017
Attachments
tail squirrel.jpg
tail squirrel.jpg (80.66 KiB) Viewed 7368 times
head and tail squirre.jpg
head and tail squirre.jpg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 7364 times

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:00 pm

this older forum post also covers this, and the person in the original did speak with the RCM. Mintshield, the coating the mint is currently using, did only come out in 2018.
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=326209

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:32 pm

My 2 cents... Although I have no direct input on this particular coin, I do have in situ silver mint proof nickels that are so toned they look gold plated. Sometimes only on one side. Specifically my 2000, 2001, and 2005 are aggressively toning. Weirdly, the 2002 to 2004 are not. Who knows what happened... it takes very little environmental impact to start strange things happening to a coin.

john1000

Post by john1000 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:44 pm

The first I heard of these gold toned NCLT coins was the Group of Seven silver coins, then more RCM NCLT were having the same reactions, the Group of Seven coins started in 2012. These affected coins were all RCM production pieces, they applied the finish varnish that they finally admit causes this toning, reason this is important is a few collectors and companies were trying to sell these gold toned coins as rare error coins, they are not and finally the RCM has admitted to the public how this occurred. Good info is always great for all collectors, it"s stop newbies from getting ripped off

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:11 am

Ok. I like the "finish varnish" story. however in my other set of the same silver proof coins for 2012 the dime is perfectly silver and no toning. So did they only do some of the dimes for that year? If it was an experiment it was on only a portion of that years dimes. Also the quarter, fifty cent and the dollar are all perfectly silver in both sets. Why varnish on only the dimes and not all the coins if you are going to apply a "finish" varnish or is it on all the coins in the set and was it just a bad batch that went on some of the coins (dimes) ? I do not understand the thinking that this quality control issue is my fault /responsibility and considered a post mint error? These sets are sealed and are sold by the mint as a preserved set of proof coins for that year which includes a certificate of authentication.I 'll be interested in what they say if they ever do get back to me.So in 20 years from now, can I expect more surprises from my mint products that are sealed, stored in the dark and dry and never been opened? Not an investment as advertised?

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:20 am

I don't think anyone ever said it was your fault, but it is not a mint error. And having one toned and the other not may simply be how airtight the different cases are. You said you got it from the Mint directly - one of the boutiques? if so, it could have been on display before you purchased it. If not, just random differences in how airtight things were. Yes, you should expect some of your coins to tone, and some more than others. I have an animal set of 4 - the dogs - it had been in plastic wrap for years, but the outter boxes are plain cardboard. One of the four dogs, which are in their own separate capsules, has started to tone and I think is starting to do this and I just happened to catch it to see it (maybe I should try to take photos over time, but then I open it more and more). A similar set of baby animals has no toning at all.

I found some of what others were speaking of related to a disclosure on the toning like this directly from the Mint as well: https://canadiancoinnews.com/mint-confi ... ver-coins/

john1000

Post by john1000 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:22 am

Just one more comment on RCM NCLT coins or sets, maybe 1% of each years hold or gain value, even the the egg shaped coin has no instant after market rise in price due to the RCM greed of raising mintages. Buy these coins if you like the design or themes, most of these end up at close to bullion value. The RCM rarely admits to anything when they do it is obvious they created a flawed batch or quality control was lacking with the varnish, you don"t see this and milk spots on other major mints around world and lastly RCM NCLT are not investments unless you need a tax loss

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:55 am

IMO. Be careful if you are purchasing RCM products as investments rather than collecting. I just purchased a 1972 Mint set for 15 dollars. Someone sat on that for 50 years. Now if you inherited a pile of 1921 unc. nickels...

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:22 pm

Calico ... As an amendment to your post about RCM products sitting and losing value. If the large coin shows start up again with regularity, you can normally pick up RCM products 3-4 years after issue, for well less than the issue price. They could be up to 50% off what they sold to the public for. Many dealers get a very nice discount from the RCM to "resell" their products.
Bill in Burl

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:22 pm
Calico ... As an amendment to your post about RCM products sitting and losing value. If the large coin shows start up again with regularity, you can normally pick up RCM products 3-4 years after issue, for well less than the issue price. They could be up to 50% off what they sold to the public for. Many dealers get a very nice discount from the RCM to "resell" their products.
Agreed, and to keep the thread akin to the original posting and not a tangent... I believe the consensus here is simple envo. toning of the dime I don't think it is going to destroy any long term value of the set. Someone may just grab it at a premium BECAUSE of the dime, who is to say. I purchased a 1977 set simply for the penny that had turned a beautiful autumn red in the centre.