2012 Rose Gold Plated Dime in Proof set ?

PortPunk

2012 Rose Gold Plated Dime in Proof set ?

Post by PortPunk » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:24 pm

I own two 2012 Silver proof sets. One has a normal pure silver dime and the other one has a dime that appears to be rose gold plated on both sides.The description says it should be pure silver with no gold. When you look at the picture of it and compare it to the quarter next to it you can see the colour difference. Again the quarter is pure silver and has the same appearance as the dime in the other proof set.

What do you think is going on here? Is it unique ? Is it the wrong planchet? Is it an error?
Attachments
8C83C740-BEEE-426F-8A70-879CB7399FFE_1_105_c.jpeg
8C83C740-BEEE-426F-8A70-879CB7399FFE_1_105_c.jpeg (230.69 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
01B97D1E-7D07-4B65-9E97-CEDCBEC05DEF_1_105_c.jpeg
01B97D1E-7D07-4B65-9E97-CEDCBEC05DEF_1_105_c.jpeg (262.13 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
8D41E830-EB88-4A6C-813F-B20F096A1A76_1_105_c.jpeg
8D41E830-EB88-4A6C-813F-B20F096A1A76_1_105_c.jpeg (335.5 KiB) Viewed 9577 times

coinguy

Re: 2012 Rose Gold Plated Dime in Proof set ?

Post by coinguy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:25 pm

Not an error, not a wrong planchet. The colour has changed after the set left the mint, there have been some that have even changed to a gold colour.
This has been discussed before on how this occurs but I can’t remember if it was here or on another forum.
Doesn’t really matter though as it is post mint.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:35 pm

I had posted on some squirrel coins from the RCM a few months back that had also gone a wonderful gold colour, although really should have been silver. One of the things that is worth saying is that even though the plastic holders are really solid, they are not always airtight. Any coin that comes in any plastic holder could have small spaces to allow air to circulate. A number of places that you might store coins could lead to toning if there is air circulating, even at a low level. One of the things that I found about searching for wood and silver, because the squirrel coins have a small piece of wood attached to them, was that storing coins in or near wood can result in toning - and almost to this same colour. One way to artificially tone a coin is to put it on a piece of wood in the sun. I used to store many coins in a large wooden cabinet with innert ceramic beads to absorb moisture, but now realize my attention to the moisture may have not been my biggest concern, and I have moved them to something far less likely to react with the coins.

cdngmt

Post by cdngmt » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:33 am

I believe I saw a discussion on (RCM silver) mint products { generally items sold through Canada Post retail locations)getting a golden hue in a different forum (coincommunity) and the reason as coin guy said was attributed to exposure to sun while on display

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:17 am

I have not bought the sun theory for the following reasons.Strange idea that it is due to sun since I bought both these proof sets directly from the mint and then placed them directly into a plastic bin with a lockable lid and it has remained unopened for nine years on a metal shelf in my basement. ( no, I have a dry basement with a de-humidifier running year round)There would be no sun light or light of any kind. I have had toning on many coins before but this is strange because of the evenness of the colour over the entire surface on both sides.Again if it was a display sun issue it would tend to be on one side.Even the colour is unusual for toning ( usually a rainbow working in from the outside edge). If I could see another dime like this in a proof set with the same colour then I might come around that it is common and post mint.
Anyone else got any theories or picture examples of the same occurrence in their collections ?

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:18 am

Just thought of another question that disputes the post mint exposure theory. If all the coins are made from the same silver alloy 99.99 % silver then why are not all the other coins in this set turning this colour, if it is either an air or sun issue? All the silver coins in the two sets have had the exactly the same exposure since they left the mint.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:13 am

I think that it's just the air, since the dime is closest to the edge and I'm sure the containers are not air-tight. Just a teeny leak over time could do it and depends on how tight the lid is/was. It makes no difference since it's post mint.
Bill in Burl

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:02 pm

Sorry not buying the edge air theory either. Look at the twonny directly above the Dime. It is silver and gold foil. Yet the silver part has no rose tinge to it. Why would the supposed air leak only come in from one edge and not travel
evenly through out the case. Also there is no movement of air inside a set case, inside a cardboard box, inside a plastic container with a lid sitting in a basement , in the dark for nine years.

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:41 pm

Just so you know , I have just sent an email off to the mint explaining the situation to the quality control people asking for an opinion. If I hear anything back , I will post it here for everyone to learn what they say is the cause.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:59 am

With the dime being thinner than the other coins, there may be more air circulation in that space given the casing is not airtight. A number of coins in there would have the same alloy and might, in time, if held in the same conditions, also show that overall toning. The coins I had spoken of earlier have exactly the same type of colour toning and it is uniform and clear. In my case, they are only toned on the one side. I will try to post pictures later. I also have a four set that also toned this way with just one toning of the four. One of the things I have been trying to find out is whether the cardboard holders/sleeves would off gas the same way that wood does. My suspicion is that they could, but at a much slower rate.

john1000

Post by john1000 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:13 pm

The RCM has omitted if you read between the lines, they had some problems with the finish they applied to some sets and coins in this time period with some NCLT coins. The RCM believes everything they do is some kind of national top secrets, but good luck with asking, just reaction to some crappy finish.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:40 pm

One way that people back 10-15 years ago used to do was wrap the coins in damp old-style paper towels (the brown one) and set them, sometimes with heat applied as well. The sulfur in the paper toned the coins well and, since they are made from wood, essentially, wood should do the same.
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:23 pm

looking the mint description of the alloy used for the dime, it is supposed to contain 5.5% copper and should be similar to many other coins. There are a few more reasons why certain coins could turn more than others. Generally it looks like dimes on forums seem to be discussed for their brown/copper toning. I just found this and think it is an interesting thing to think about. see the first post
https://forums.collectors.com/discussio ... er-colored

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:38 pm

The Coin Preservation Handbook (Frank 1960), which can be a bit challenging to track down still has relevance for today's coins. It covers how plastics can be created, but also how they can be influenced by the environment to tone coins. Plastic types that the mint uses in its sets are likely hard to track down. Teflon and similar types of components of plastic are particularly bad for copper and copper alloys. Further, plastic does give off acidic vapours for some time, so having a pocket in a holder could actually have them available for toning for longer, and the results could be more dramatic. The copper colour would likely be the first in stages of toning. This could be helpful in watching the coins, which are likely to be continuing on an ongoing process.
https://forums.collectors.com/discussio ... rogression

PortPunk

Post by PortPunk » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:02 pm

Okay I love that people are still thinking about this problem.SO if we go down the copper theory the content is not 5% copper in this coin. I am attaching the card and you will see it is supposed to be 99.99% silver. That is not much copper to turn this colour. I would be .001%. I fit is a copper contamination in the alloy then it is a mint error not a post mint error.Anyone else got any theories or examples of the same occurrence?
Attachments
IMG_0047 (1).jpeg
IMG_0047 (1).jpeg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 8938 times