TPG Fraud of the Month - November

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
rjd65

TPG Fraud of the Month - November

Post by rjd65 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:32 pm

My sincere apologies, I've been a bit tardy in posting these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325432476270?h ... Sw34tjeqPf

Bill in Burl

Re: TPG Fraud of the Month - November

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:23 pm

So why is this a fraud with the seller with 100 feedback reading? I agree it's not XF-45.
Bill in Burl

rjd65

Post by rjd65 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:10 pm

Bill, it was purely a TPG judgement that is why I titled it 'TPG Fraud' and not 'Seller Fraud'. That being said, if it was my listing I would most definitely make my opinion known about the 'true' grade but I would be tempted to crack that coin out of its holder before listing. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that, especially where NGC is concerned. Although holders do have the benefit of presumably assuring the coin is authentic regardless of the grade assigned. But I am happy that you concur it is not a XF45. RD

TBH

Post by TBH » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:37 am

It's not EF45 and it's not fraud.
An opinion cannot be fraudulent and NGC gains nothing from the sale of this coin.
Thus readers assume the seller is being accused of fraud.
You should have left it at inept as in your previous posts.

rjd65

Post by rjd65 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:14 pm

You are correct 'Inept' is probably a better word, as I used in previous posts but fraud is not entirely inaccurate either. Fraud is a combined act of stealing and lying. I sometimes wonder if NGC is purposely giving a bad 'opinion' for the client's benefit (for a bonus fee perhaps), thus the grade assigned is effectively a lie. If an unsophisticated collector believes the encapsulated coin is in the condition as stipulated and by some miracle purchases the coin for an amount based on the grade assigned, instead of perhaps a more accurate lower grade, the difference in price between those grades is theft. If the seller knows in his/her heart the coin is over graded then they are abetting in that theft.
I can forgive grade opinion deviation only to a certain point. IMHO, this coin is only a VF25 or 30, no higher.