best affordable hand-held digital usb microscope

General discussions about conservation and classification.
Hot Brass

Re: best affordable hand-held digital usb microscope

Post by Hot Brass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Shylo wrote:The detail that you get with the high power mag. is very impressive.. but I'm curious to know what is being used as a light source...

In the pics the centres seem to be very reflective of the light yet the outside edges of the coin(s) seems to be very dark..

Is it an LED light on the mag?

That is correct,it has it's own led light source which can be adjusted via the clear diffuser on the end. I think it has maybe 8 emitters mounted inside the unit,so the light would be concentrated more on the center than the the outside,like you noticed. I could also shut the internal light and the auto-focus off and maybe use my Ott-Lite to see if it makes the whole viewing object the same as far as lighting color,but it never really bothered me enough to get it out. Thanks,HB

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 pm

I just recently picked up another point and shoot camera and I'm having a helluva time getting any good shots... (picked it up more b/c I want to have more photos of my son growing up)

Now i'm looking at these usb micros... I'd like one with a stand and base so I could slip coins in and out without a lot of fussing... would like to easily look at the details of my coins and also take good pictures for my records.

So far what you've shown me ... I really like what I see... eventually though I would like to get some of the same picture quality that I've seen on the bay...

Hot Brass

Post by Hot Brass » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 am

Dino-Lite Canada has many models and a few stands to choose from,depending on what you need/want. HB