Attn: CanuckCoin Girl

Discuss about everything else here.
Bill in Burl

Attn: CanuckCoin Girl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 pm

You may want to join in this discussion on the PCGS World coin site. You have shown your knowledge on here, so let them have it:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussio ... ins#latest
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Re: Attn: CanuckCoin Girl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:40 pm

Interesting. I assume many of the ideas are a little bit correct. It is definitely a male dominated hobby, but I suspect women are often ignored, and/or often try not to attract attention after a bit of 'experience'. There is a fear factor - having a hobby with items of value might make women less likely to shout about their knowledge, and definitely not talk much about their collection. Very few people know what I have, for example. In any male dominated 'domain', women with some knowledge do run up against men who won't see or hear them, which is infuriating. Women and men have also have a very different history with money in general, but also buying, selling, and even having flexible and disposable income. Quite likely that many women have inherited their initial collection or shop with spouses/friends, but I suspect that has changed over time.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:58 am

Well,l I'm glad that you are one this site. Do you view the CCF sites and forums?
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:48 am

Yes... I do watch the CCF forums and have posted there. Like this one, I watched for a bit and didn't post until more recently. I think my dislike of the term proof-like for Canadian coins got the better of me and I joined both. :wink:
It has been good for talking/updating about cleaning and counterfeit coins, and there is some great info there on large Canadian pennies.
I might like this one better...but maybe just because it is a bit of a more developed site and has the coin and bill lookup features.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Okay, I am really not happy with some of the additional follow up coming in on that forum. I joined, but I can't post...yet! :twisted:
Bill in Burl wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 pm
You may want to join in this discussion on the PCGS World coin site. You have shown your knowledge on here, so let them have it:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussio ... ins#latest
Fellows -there are just going to be far more of you than there are of women at shows, meetings, or even online (likely for a long time)! So, if you are with a woman - or even just within ear shot - and some cringe worthy comment is directed at a woman, please stand up and inform the person making it that it is not okay. You don't have to turn into a knight in shining armor, break out the boxing gloves, or anything grand, but make it crystal clear that it is just not appropriate. I get it that you might never do it yourself, but if you don't stand up, silence is taken as permission, and a giggle will solidify that its a good thing to do. If you are someone well respected, you are even more likely to make the dinosaurs extinct more quickly and provide a welcoming environment for many more, by just providing a few words. Of course you don't have to associate with anyone you don't want to, but why not include them in lunches, drinks, and discussions, and be sure to make sure they are both safe and welcomed! The same is true around LGBTQ++ peoples that attend events - shut down negative comments and inappropriate stares. If you want things to grow, you need to be inclusive, and not let people feel belittled, or like they are not possibly as informed or interested. Some, however, will not be informed, and that isn't a good reason to take advantage of them either! There are also a lot of unacceptable comments on that other forum about what women collect, or related to their relationship with money, that are actually demeaning given the question posted. It's bad enough if it is someone you don't know, but please don't be that guy to the women in your life! If your first thought is, "But that is funny, can't you take a joke?", the answer is, "I totally appreciate humour, but that isn't funny." And the same is probably true for women that were interested that came and went, or started collecting under ground so they didn't have to listen to it, or feel devalued. Yes, there are some women that are going to command respect and you might even admire them already - and there are a couple comments on some of them in the thread. Those are the tornados that probably fought a lot of those battles themselves and were not going to let a few opinions (or nasty names) get in their way and/or did have a few knights in rusty armor that didn't let a dinosaur get to them. Most are not going to be like that. Some of you are already super generous with this kind of thing... just hoping it can be widespread!

*jumping off my soap box for the moment*

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:42 pm

Now didn't that feel good and you didn't even damage the soap box. BTW, I'm "syl" on PCGS and Okiecoiner on the CCF ones. There were 4 of us who wrote/co-wrote the large cent variety section on Vicky large cents for Charlton for the 65th edition so some of your comments may be about some of my posts. I'm a LC person and have been for nearly 50 years.
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:30 am

I am rather tired of the fact that some of that seems to still have to be said. I still can't post on the other forum yet, but glad a few are pointing out the problem with the responses.
Bill in Burl wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:42 pm
BTW, I'm "syl" on PCGS and Okiecoiner on the CCF ones.
Yes...pretty sure I followed some of the threads you were on! I am rather partial to those LCs...

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:48 pm

There is a possible assessment opportunity coming up to see how many women are collecting coins and want to go to shows in Canada. Torex is happening in a few short months. Ingrid Smith is no longer with us, but it was her show before her son took it over, so it might be a good place for many women - they might have that history. This is also the 60th anniversary (if I am right), so it might draw more crowds, not to mention people craving this kind of thing following COVID.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:21 am

Well, you gave them both barrels on the PCGS site, so good job. There really are some nice guys on that PCGS forum. Don't bite the whole forum for a few bad eggs.

I used to go to the 2 or 3 Torex's per year, but stopped about 10 years ago. We had a large group of us from the old CCRS site that Brian (her son) ran that used to gather (sometimes 10-12 of us0 from all over N America for beers and passing around coins. But 10-11 years ago we all quit because Brian got dictator-itis over rules for the site. There were over 20 of us that called it quits after talking to him failed to help. We, that quit, removed over 50,000 posts of ours that were full of studies, research, histories, etc that could never be replaced. I think that I had over 7,000 that I removed so Brian couldn't use them. Where the site used to fill 2-3 pages of posts over the weekend now is lucky to get 5 posts a year
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:03 pm

I did try to indicate that there were good eggs, but even good eggs need to stand up more too.
Your withdrawn collection makes me rather sad. I hope you have it in a safe spot! The internet is great, but for currency - and legacy - some of the knowledge really did/does exist with some 'elders' and those in the right place at the right time. I've never been, but maybe in the future - even if just as an excuse to visit some friends between Dundas, Hamilton, and TO...and maybe farther depending on the length of the trip!

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:26 am

Coingirl, if you are contemplating a trip to the T.O. Megapolis, do it on Sept 30 for the Coin Expo. http://www.torontocoinexpo.ca/ It has replaced Torex as the major show(s). It's held at the Toronto Reference Library right on Yonge street with a pub a block away and 2 nice hotels very near. Before Covid, there were 70-80 dealers there, with talks and presentations, as well as previews for the auctions that weekend.

Since it's on Yonge, the subway stops right at the corner, so you don't have to find a parking place for a fortune. Take the Go Train in from Hamilton and then the subway. There'll be a few of us from here and other sites there.
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:05 pm

Investigating this option...

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:25 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:26 am
Coingirl, if you are contemplating a trip to the T.O. Megapolis, do it on Sept 30 for the Coin Expo. http://www.torontocoinexpo.ca/ It has replaced Torex as the major show(s). It's held at the Toronto Reference Library right on Yonge street with a pub a block away and 2 nice hotels very near. Before Covid, there were 70-80 dealers there, with talks and presentations, as well as previews for the auctions that weekend.

Since it's on Yonge, the subway stops right at the corner, so you don't have to find a parking place for a fortune. Take the Go Train in from Hamilton and then the subway. There'll be a few of us from here and other sites there.
My hopes to pull off a two day escape to make it out last minute just failed. Hope you have a great time "Bill in Burl". Maybe next year!

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:14 am

I actually forgot about it, but was busy Friday PM anyway. Hope those who went enjoyed it, as the weather was GREAT for a nice Fall day.
Bill in Burl