1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post Reply
juanadanac
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm

1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by juanadanac » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:21 am

Hi,
I have had this coin tucked away for many years and figured I would try and figure out what it is all about. It is nickel coloured but stamped as a penny. The stamping seems to be set incorrectly as you can see one side of the edge is quite flat and round and the other is a typical penny 12 sided. (turns out I have a six sided edge)
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for not knowing the correct terms with how coins are pressed.
See photos
Thanks
Attachments
20210225_080135.jpg
20210225_080135.jpg (708.69 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
20210225_080201.jpg
20210225_080201.jpg (865.24 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
20210225_080210.jpg
20210225_080210.jpg (661.15 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
20210225_080240.jpg
20210225_080240.jpg (753.22 KiB) Viewed 2650 times

MakesCents
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by MakesCents » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:53 am

First thing I would do is weigh it, it should be 2 1/2 grams. I have found quite a few coins like that and every one has been plated. I found online where they actually tell you how to do it. Also, if it was the wrong planchet, that would mean it was either bigger or smaller than a 1996 penny planchet which I assume would cause some kind of distortion.

juanadanac
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by juanadanac » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:25 pm

Thanks for the info.
It is certainly puzzling. I weighed it and it is coming in at 2.3g. I guess the odd coincidence is that it was definitely stamped incorrectly. So someone had to stumble upon this error coin then plate it.
Just odd.

MakesCents
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by MakesCents » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 pm

I am by no means an expert. It should weigh 2.5 grams so maybe there is more to it than what I suggested before. Did you try googling to see if in 1996 there were other errors like this one?

juanadanac
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by juanadanac » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:08 am

I have done and continue to do a fair bit of google searching.
I have found what you are speaking of (plating of coins for jewelry etc) but what I can tell is that a plating would lead it to being magnetic. It is not magnetic. Not even weakly...
The weight is half way between a dime and a penny.

henrysmedford
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by henrysmedford » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:48 pm

juanadanac wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:08 am
I have done and continue to do a fair bit of google searching.
I have found what you are speaking of (plating of coins for jewelry etc) but what I can tell is that a plating would lead it to being magnetic. It is not magnetic. Not even weakly...
The weight is half way between a dime and a penny.
See--- [url]https://youtu.be/_g_ml8tAnWE/url]

newfyvet
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:26 pm

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by newfyvet » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:00 pm

juanadanac wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:21 am
Hi,
I have had this coin tucked away for many years and figured I would try and figure out what it is all about. It is nickel coloured but stamped as a penny. The stamping seems to be set incorrectly as you can see one side of the edge is quite flat and round and the other is a typical penny 12 sided. (turns out I have a six sided edge)
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for not knowing the correct terms with how coins are pressed.
See photos
Thanks
I appears to me that this is a Dime Planchet that went through the process when minting cents...the planchet is spread out because of the size of the planchet not being fully retained in the collar and also thus the different metal. You have a penny minted on a Dime Planchet...that's my opinion!

GBELEC
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by GBELEC » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:32 am

If im not mistaken , if it is a dime Planchet would it not be magnetic???

henrysmedford
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by henrysmedford » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:05 pm

GBELEC wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:32 am
If im not mistaken , if it is a dime Planchet would it not be magnetic???
Specification from the mint website.

1979 - 1999
Composition: 99.9% nickel
Weight (g): 2.07
Diameter (mm): 18.03
Thickness (mm): 1.22

So it would be magnetic because that high composition of nickel is magnetic.

You could have it XFR tested.

Bond632
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:59 am

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by Bond632 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:59 pm

I think we can safely assume it’s not a Canadian dime planchet because of the weight, but maybe it’s a foreign planchet struck by the Canadian mint.

The mint has struck hundreds of millions of coins for other countries over many years, all with different weights and compositions.

For example, Canada struck 400 million 10 centavos for Argentina in 1992 with a weight of 2.25g and a composition of aluminum bronze.

I am not saying this is the case here, but just an example of the possibilities and something to keep in mind.

juanadanac
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by juanadanac » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:27 pm

Thanks all. I had mentally canceled out the option of a dime planchet due to it being non magnetic.
The foreign planchet makes some sense. I might find a more accurate scale then track down what coins around the world, struck at the mint, could match.

henrysmedford
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 1996 Penny/Dime mutant coin. Help please?

Post by henrysmedford » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:50 pm

juanadanac wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:27 pm
Thanks all. I had mentally canceled out the option of a dime planchet due to it being non magnetic.
The foreign planchet makes some sense. I might find a more accurate scale then track down what coins around the world, struck at the mint, could match.
Here is a website that list good amount of the coins that were made for other countries by the Canadian mint.
http://www.coinscan.com/for/foreign.html

Post Reply